USA Ph.D. Published Works
Engineering doctoral programs should be making IMPACT on the practice of engineering – either through advancing theoretical groundings, or in the day-to-day practice of engineering. One method of measuring that impact is by the number of articles being published in engineering journals, trade publications, and presented at conferences. The second order of that measure is other engineering authors citing the primary sources.
This page is dedicated to the published works of our doctoral students and their advisor since the program was started. Citations include papers written by our students that reflect portions of their research. We also include articles published by faculty if they have our students as co-authors. Finally, we include anything published by our doctoral alumni.
Names with an asterisk after their name indicates students.
M. Rahman, M. W. Kang (2020). Safety evaluation of drowsy driving advisory system: Alabama case study. Journal of Safety Research, Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.
- Kari Lippert*, Robert Cloutier (2019). TRIZ for Digital Systems Engineering: New Characteristics and Principles Redefined. Systems, 7(3), 39.
- Sarker* & H. Lester, (2019) Post-Disaster Recovery Associations of Power Systems Dependent Critical Infrastructures, Infrastructures, 4(2) 30 doi.org/10.3390/infrastructures4020030
- Bikash Ranabhat*, Joseph Clements, Jacob Gatlin, Kuang-Ting Hsiao, Mark Yampolskiy (2019). Optimal Sabotage Attack on Composite Material Parts. International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection. In-press, Available online May 22, 2019.
- M. Scruggs*, S. Kirmse*, and K.-T. Hsiao, “Enhancement of Through-Thickness Thermal Transport in Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Laminates due to the Synergetic Role of Carbon Nanofiber Z-Threads.” Journal of Nanomaterials, Volume 2019, Article ID 8928917, 13 pages, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/8928917.
- Meagan A. Bunge, Aaron B. Davis, Kevin N. West, Christy Wheeler West, and T. Grant Glover (2018) Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 57 (28), 9151-9161. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.8b01010
- Glover, T., Cloutier, R., Gill, T. (2018). Development of a Systems Engineering Undergraduate Elective for Chemical Engineering Students. Chemical Engineering Education, Chemical Engineering Division, American Society for Engineering Education, Vol. 52, No. 4, Fall 2018
- Jacob W. Deal, Phong Le, C. Blake Corey, Karren More, Christy Wheeler West (2016). Water-gas shift reaction on alumina-supported Pt-CeOx catalysts prepared by supercritical fluid deposition. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids. Volume 119, January 2017, Pages 113-121
- -T. Hsiao, A.M. Scruggs*, J.S. Brewer Jr, G.J.S. Hickman, E.E. McDonald, K. Henderson. (2016). Effect of carbon nanofiber z-threads on mode-I delamination toughness of carbon fiber reinforced plastic laminates. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Volume 91, December 2016, 324–335.
- Meagan A. Bunge, K. Neil Ruckart, Silas Leavesley, Gregory W. Peterson, Nien Nguyen, Kevin N. West, and T. Grant Glover. (2015) Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 54 (15), 3821-3827 DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.5b00089
- Pennison, G.P., Cloutier, R.J., Webb, B.M. 2020. Transdisciplinary systems thinking: sustainability of coastal systems. In: Proceedings of the 2020 Industrial and Systems Engineering Conference, L. Cromarty, R. Shirwaiker, P. Wang (Eds.), New Orleans, LA (accepted)
- Pennison, G.P., Cloutier, R.J., Webb, B.M. 2020. Coastal road system failures: cause and effect. In: Proceedings of the 2020 Industrial and Systems Engineering Conference, L. Cromarty, R. Shirwaiker, P. Wang (Eds.), New Orleans, LA (accepted)
- Smith, R., Lester, H. (2019). Instructor and Student Perceptions of the Authorized Self-Prepared Reference Sheet for Examinations. Proceeding of 2019 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Washington DC: American Society for Engineering Education
- Sebastian Kirmse*, Keonhyeong Kim, Bikash Ranabhat*, Kuang-Ting Hsiao. (2019). Effects of Carbon Nanofiber Z-threads in the Longitudinal Compressive Strength of Unidirectional CFRP Laminates. Proceedings of SAMPE 2019. Charlotte, NC. May 20-23, 2019
- Bikash Ranabhat*, Sebastian Kirmse*, Kaung-Ting Hsiao (2019). Feasibility Study of novel Magnetic Compaction Force Assisted Additive Manufacturing (MFCA-AM) Methodology for continuous Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (C-CFRP) Composites. Proceedings of SAMPE 2019. Charlotte, NC. May 20-23, 2019
- Craig M. Browning*, Samuel Mayes*, Thomas C. Rich, Silas J. Leavesley. (2018). Endoscopic hyperspectral imaging: light guide optimization for spectral light source. Proc. SPIE 10487, Multimodal Biomedical Imaging XIII, 104870H
- Sam A. Mayes*, Kaysie Moore*, Craig Browning*, Phiwat Klomkaew*, Thomas C. Rich, Silas J. Leavesley. (2018). Applications and assessment of an excitation-scanning hyperspectral imaging system. Proc. SPIE 10497, Imaging, Manipulation, and Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues XVI, 1049706
- Kirmse*, K.-T. Hsiao (2018). Enhancing the Interlaminar Shear Strength of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Laminate using a Nanofiber Z-threading Strategy. Proceedings of CAMX 2018. Dallas, Texas. October 15-18, 2018
- Ranabhat*, K.-T. Hsiao. (2018). Improve the Through-Thickness Electrical Conductivity of CFRP Laminate using Flow aligned Carbon Nanofiber Z-threads. Proceedings of SAMPE 2018, Long Beach, CA. May 21-24, 2018
- Walker, S., Lester, H. (2018). A Renewable Energy Grid Risk Paradigm Framework. Proceeding of 2018 IISE Annual Conference & Expo (pp. 313-319). Atlanta, GA: Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers
- Lester, H., Smith III, R. (2018). Infrastructure System Interdependencies and Built Environment Disaster Resiliency. Proceeding of 2018 IISE Annual Conference (pp. 222-228). Norcross, GA: Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers
- Sarker*, P., Lester, H. (2018). Power System Interruption and Interdependent Infrastructures Disaster Recovery. Proceeding of 2018 IISE Annual Conference & Expo (pp. 343-349). Norcross, GA: Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers
- Silveira*, A., Lester, H. (2018). Significance of Electricity Generation Types in an Energy System. Proceeding of 2018 IISE Annual Conference (pp. 295-301). Norcross, GA: Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers
- Pennison, G. *, Cloutier, R., Webb, B. (2018). Local Coastal Roads–Next Generation. 2018 IISE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 19-20, 2018
- Craig M. Browning*, Samuel Mayes*, Thomas C. Rich, Silas J. Leavesley. (2017). Design of a modified endoscope illuminator for spectral imaging of colorectal tissues. Proc. SPIE 1006015
- Phiwat Klomkaew*, Sam A. Mayes*, Thomas C. Rich, Silas J. Leavesley. (2017). Testing a high-power LED based light source for hyperspectral imaging microscopy. Proc. SPIE 100681V
- Thomas C. Rich, Naga Annamdevula*, Kenny Trinh*, Andrea L. Britain*, Samuel A. Mayes*, John R. Griswold*, Joshua Deal*, Chase Hoffman*, Savannah West*, and Silas J. Leavesley. (2017). 5D imaging approaches reveal the formation of distinct intracellular cAMP spatial gradients. Proc. SPIE 100700R
- Sam A. Mayes*, Phiwat Klomkaew*, Silas J. Leavesley, Thomas C. Rich. (2017). Optimization and applications of an excitation-scanning hyperspectral imaging system. Proc. SPIE 1007609
- M. Scruggs*, S. Kirmse*, K.-T. Hsiao. (2016). Influence of Z-aligned Carbon Nanofibers on the Through-Thickness Thermal Conductivity of Paraffin Wax. Proceedings of the 2016 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (ASME-IMECE 2016). November 11-17, 2016. Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Paper number 67795
- M. Scruggs*, K. Henderson, K.-T. Hsiao. (2016). Characterization of Electrical Conductivity of a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Laminate Reinforced with Z-aligned Carbon Nanofibers. Proceedings of CAMX (the Composites and Advanced Materials Expo) 2016. Anaheim, CA. September 26-29, 2016
- Craig M. Browning*, Samuel Mayes*, Peter Favreau, Thomas C. Rich, Silas J. Leavesley. (2016). LED-based endoscopic light source for spectral imaging. Proc. SPIE 97031I
- Sam A. Mayes*, Silas J. Leavesley, Thomas C. Rich. (2016). Excitation-scanning hyperspectral imaging system for microscopic and endoscopic applications. Proc. SPIE 97110Z
- Thomas C. Rich, Naga Annamdevula*, Andrea L. Britain*, Samuel Mayes*, Peter F. Favreau*, and Silas J. Leavesley. (2016). Three dimensional measurement of cAMP gradients using hyperspectral confocal microscopy. Proc. SPIE 97130O
- Lester, H., Perry, M., Moynihan, G. (2014). Detecting Shift Moments in Construction Activity to Estimate Disaster Recovery. Vulnerability, Uncertainty, and Risk – Quantification, Mitigation, and Management (pp. 1148-1157). Ruston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Tran, D., Lester, H. (2014). Toward Statistics for Construction Engineering and Management Research. Proceedings of the 2014 Construction Research Congress (pp. 1139-1148). Ruston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers
Books and Book Chapters
- Cloutier, R. (Expected 2019). Evolving Toolbox for Complex Project Management, Chapter on: Project Management Patterns. Taylor & Francis Group, LLC. Editor: A. Gorod
- Lester, H. (2018). System Engineering: Enabling Operations Management. Contemporary Issues and Research in Operations Management (pp. 113-131). London, UK: InTech Publishing
- Niezer, S. and White, K.D. (2018). Pharmaceutical Transformations in Wastewater Treatment. Alabama Water Environment Association Annual Conference. Point Clear, AL. April 2018
- Bunge M.A., Ruckart K.N., Leavesley S., Peterson G.W., Nguyen N., West K.N., Glover T.G. (2016). Attachment of MOFs to Nylon and Cotton Fabrics. MOF 2016. Poster presentation. Long Beach, CA. September 2016
- Bunge M.A., Ruckart K.N., Leavesley S., Peterson G.W., Nguyen N., West K.N., Glover T.G. (2015). The Application of Reactive Dyes to Functionalize Fibers with MOFs, Quantum Dots, and Gold Nanoparticles. AIChE Annual Meeting. Salt Lake City, UT. November 2015